Thanks to the Garden of the Gods Club for providing the services mentioned in today’s post. I was not compensated or obligated to create this post. As always, I value your opinion and only partner with companies that I truly love! Keep reading to learn the best skin care tips from a professional esthetician!
As a little girl, I’d steal my mother’s Vogue magazine and carefully study the latest beauty trends. I loved the pretty models and the gorgeous styling, but my favorite articles featured skin care tips from a professional esthetician. I wanted to know the products the professionals used themselves, and the beauty secrets that actually made a difference. My curiosity hasn’t waned since my childhood. I always ask my makeup artist one million questions as I get my makeup applied, and I won’t leave the salon chair until I find out my stylist’s favorite shampoo and conditioner.
During my stay at the beautiful Garden of the Gods Club in Colorado Springs, Rebecca Johnston, the spa’s executive director and lead esthetician, graciously gave me the opportunity to try the resort’s signature facial. I knew that it was the perfect opportunity to finally have my skin care questions answered by a professional esthetician.
Rebecca expertly evaluated and treated my skin in addition to patiently answering each and every one of my skin care questions. I walked out of the spa with a new perspective on skin care, and I’m excited to share everything I learned with you in today’s post! Keep reading to learn 10 skin care tips from a professional esthetician that will help you achieve the healthy skin you’ve always wanted.
Skin Care Tips from A Professional Esthetician
1. Your skin needs to be professionally evaluated.As someone who continuously reads beauty articles and stays on top of skincare trends, I honestly thought that I was educated enough to evaluate my own skin. I was wrong. For years, I thought that I had oily, blemish-prone skin, but Rebecca, my amazing esthetician at the Garden of the Gods Club spa, quickly corrected my skincare mistakes.
After close examination of my skin, she told me that I actually had moderately dry and reactive skin. She pointed out that what I thought was excess oil was probably just sweat from Florida’s humid climate, and the constant redness was my sensitive skin reacting to my harsh and drying skincare regimen. Throughout my facial, she noted how my skin reacted to different products and techniques, and I learned so many things that I’d been doing wrong for years.
If your skin care routine isn’t producing your desired results, I highly encourage you to visit a professional esthetician and have your skin evaluated. You might be surprised by the results and the skin care tips from a professional.
2. Be gentle with your skin.It’s tempting to take the easy way out when it comes to skin care. After a long day of work, I want to get my makeup off as quickly as possible, so I don’t think about gently cleansing my skin. I scrub my makeup off with a makeup wipe in two seconds without worrying about the consequences of using excess force or harsh skin care products.
When my face is broken out with blemishes, I don’t think about patiently soothing my skin into normalcy. I create a war plan to obliterate my evil zits. After my facial with Rebecca, my thought process completely changed. Rebecca explained to me that abusing your skin with excess force (scrubbing, poking, scratching, popping), heat, or harsh products can lead to premature aging, sagging, and scarring.
While these intense practices seem like they’ll produce quicker results, they’ll lead to long-term damage. She encouraged me to be gentle with my skin. Listen to this skin care tip from a professional: use soft movements and soothing products, you can achieve optimal results. You just need patience!
3. Harsh exfoliation is not a good idea.After I learned about the importance of being gentle with your skin, my mind immediately thought about exfoliation. I’ve always believed it was important to remove as many layers of dead skin as possible, so I asked Rebecca how I could exfoliate in a gentle way. She recommended replacing rough physical exfoliants with an acidic exfoliating toner (her top recommendation is in tip #8) that would gradually remove dead skin without damaging the exterior or interior layer of the skin.
She explained that it’s more important to nourish and protect our skin from damage than focusing on removing the layer that’s already dead. After all, there’s no use having smooth skin if it’s red and irritated.
4. Your diet can affect your skin.Before Rebecca even looked at my skin, she asked me about my overall health, exercise routine, and daily diet. I was happily surprised that an esthetician would focus on internal approach to skin care as opposed to simply trying to sell products or services. No matter how much time, energy, or money you invest into your skin care routine, you won’t get optimal results if you aren’t taking care of your body. You might not expect health discussions when you’re looking for skin care tips from a professional, but health starts from the inside!
She reminded me that staying properly hydrated can help the skin appear more plump and will lessen the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Rebecca also encouraged me to maintain a diet filled with colorful vegetables and healthy fats while avoiding excess sugar. She said that over her many years as an estheticians, she’s seen countless clients reduce their skin problems when they monitor their sugar intake. Plus, the better you feel, the better you’ll look!
5. Don’t wash your face with hot water.This skin care tip was so surprising to me. I’d always heard that washing with hot water would open the pores to deep clean your skin, but Rebecca warned me against washing my skin or hair with anything more than lukewarm water. In fact, she recommended using room temperature to slightly cool water if possible.
We all know that heat can cause damage to our skin and hair, but for some reason I didn’t think of this particular idea when it came to water. I always use a heat protectant before curling my hair, and I rarely go out in the sun without an SPF; however, I never thought twice about washing my face with hot water. The principle is simple: hot water will damage the exterior and interior layers of your skin, leaving it red and inflamed.
Since my facial, I’ve invested in a specialty showerhead that displays my water’s temperature to prevent the development of dry skin and hair. I’ve noticed that my skin isn’t as red as before, and my hair looks shinier. Head over to this post to learn my favorite ways to prevent and heal dry skin and hair.
6. Don’t skimp on skin care products.Let me preface this tip by saying I believe it’s possible to create a quality skin care routine on a budget; however, I also think that if you’re going to spend money on one portion of your beauty routine, it should be skin care products. While it’s easy to amplify your complexion with makeup, no amount of concealer or foundation can replace the glow of healthy skin.
Establishing a collection of high-quality skin care products will keep your skin looking youthful and radiant, and the price tag will also help you stay consistent with your routine. After all, if I’m dropping a significant amount of money on a product, you can bet I will be taking advantage of every single drop in the bottle. Again, I’m not saying that all expensive skin care is great, but if you find a skin care line that works miracles, it’s worth the money.
Rebecca’s skin looked absolutely flawless, so I had to ask her what she used on a daily basis. She told me that she’s intensely loyal to the Biologique Recherche skincare line. Unlike other companies, they focus on creating small-batch products using only the highest quality ingredients. They don’t use low-cost fillers in their products, and you won’t see any trendy gimmicks or ridiculous claims on the packaging. In fact, they don’t advertise at all. Their focus is on creating the best skincare products available – period.
I’ll admit that I’d never heard of this brand before my spa visit; however, once I saw the amazing results from my facial, I immediately researched the line online. What I found was an army of fans ranging from celebrities to beauty bloggers (including the skincare goddess Caroline Hirens) to beauty professionals.
I’ve been saving up for months to purchase some of the products from this line, so I will definitely keep you updated on my final opinion! It’s a top skin care tip from professional estheticians world wide, so I have to imagine it’s worth every penny!
7. There is a miracle skin elixir, and it’s called P50.Since her favorite skin care products are on the pricey side, I asked Rebecca what would be the one product that absolutely everyone needed. Without a second’s hesitation, she responded that Biologique Recherche P50 was an absolute must-have. I experienced the legendary tingle of this product first-hand in my facial, and I can already understand it’s cult-like status in the beauty community. P50 is an acidic exfoliating or reconditioning toner that’s unlike almost anything else in the skincare market.
This miracle product is suitable for all skin types, and it’s used after cleansing but before applying any masks, serums, or moisturizers. I’ve read article after article about how great it works for treating acnes, blackheads, wrinkles, you name it. Basically every single person on the internet raves about this product, so if you are interested in dipping your toes into professional quality skin care products, consider making P50 your first purchase.
As I mentioned earlier, I’ve been saving up to purchase my new skin care regimen, and P50 is definitely on the top of my to-buy list. I’ll keep you updated on my results. If you’d like to find out more information about P50, read this New York Magazine interview with the head of Biologique Recherche, Dr. Allouche.
8. Your skin care routine should be applied in a specific order to maximize its effects.Up until my facial with Rebecca, my skincare routine consisted of removing my makeup, cleansing, toning, and moisturizing. While I’d tried serums, masks, and all sorts of lotions and potions in the past, I wasn’t really sure how or when to apply them. During my treatment, she explained to me that each skincare products prepares the skin to receive the full benefits of the next product, so it’s important to apply each product in the proper order.
The first step is to remove all traces of makeup with a gentle makeup remover or oil-based cleanser. Next, use a gentle cleanser to remove dirt and debris from your skin. After cleansing your skin, you’ll want to apply a toner, and Rebecca strongly recommends using an acidic exfoliating/reconditioning product such as P50. Now that your skin is sufficiently prepped, it’s time to treat your specific skin care problems.
You’ll want to consult with a skin care specialist to find the products that will work for your skin, but the next step after toning will either be a mask followed by a serum or just a serum. Serums can treat specific skin care problems, and they also prep your skin for your moisturizer. I thought that serums were an optional step for years, but I’ve learned that using serums will make all of the other steps in your skin care routine more effective.
After applying your individual mix of serums, it’s time for moisturizer and eye cream. Whether your face is an oil slick or a desert, you must use moisturizer and eye cream. The right moisturizer will balance your skin’s oil production and leave a smooth and even complexion. I resisted using anything moisturizing for years, and then I got my first wrinkle. I quickly changed my tune, and now I slather on moisturizer at every opportunity.
Depending on your esthetician’s analysis of your skin, they’ll suggest adding a sunscreen and/or finishing serum on top of your moisturizer. I know that this process seems like a lot of complicated steps, but you will get the hang of it very quickly. In fact, once you start seeing positive results, it’s hard to resist becoming addicted to the routine!
9. Mix your skincare products to treat specific problems.
Your skin care needs can and will change over time. Changes in climate, lifestyle, hormones, and age create a constantly shifting set of problems to address, and it’s unreasonable to buy a new specialty product for every concern. Rebecca recommended investing in a variety of serums for specific problems and mixing them together and/or with your masks to create the perfect product for that day.
Additionally, you don’t have to use the same products on your entire face. For example, if your T-Zone is prone to breakouts, you might need to use a spot treatment and lighter moisturizer on those areas while using a richer moisturizer on the sides of your face. I learned so many tips and tricks for mixing my products to create treatments for breakouts, undereye circles, flaky patches, and more. I’m excited to experiment with these tips, and I’d love for you to leave a comment below if you have a skincare combination that you love!
10. Be cautious of double-duty products.
I frequently see makeup products touting skincare benefits, and I asked Rebecca what she thought of multi-purpose products. Her strained expression gave away her opinion immediately, but she expressed her thoughts more eloquently. She believes that makeup should be makeup and skin care should be skin care. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that your foundation has SPF or moisturizing properties, but it will never duplicate the results of a fantastic moisturizer.
While it’s tempting to simplify your makeup and skin care routine with multi-purpose products, know that you won’t get the same results. Regardless of what a product claims to do, you’ll still need an individual skin care routine and daily sunscreen in addition to makeup. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable when it comes to beauty, but I honestly learned so much from Rebecca during my facial at the spa.
Best Skin Care Tips from Professional Estheticians
I still have a long way to go with my skin, but I’m so thankful to finally know the proper techniques and products to use on my skin. The skin care tips from a professional esthetician genuinely changed my thoughts on beauty forever. If you haven’t had a professional skin care consultation or treatment, I highly recommend that you invest in an in-depth spa facial. You’ll learn so much about your skin, and you’ll understand the value when your skin becomes miraculously clear and glowing a few days after your facial.
If you’re near the Colorado Springs area, I highly recommend that you visit Rebecca Johnston at the If you’re near the Colorado Springs area, I highly recommend that you visit Rebecca Johnston at the Garden of the Gods Club resort and spa. Her services and wisdom are worth every penny! You can read a full recap of my stay at the Garden of the Gods Club resort here.
What are your favorite skin care products? What’s your #1 tip for healthy skin?
I’d like to thank the Garden of the Gods Club for giving me the chance to stay at the beautiful resort and experience the relaxing spa, and I’d also like to thank Rebecca Johnston for providing me with invaluable skin care tips and the facial of a lifetime! I was not compensated for this post or obligated to share my experience. As always, all stated opinions are my genuine and honest thoughts. I only share products and services that I absolutely love!