Back to School Makeup Kit
Whether you’re going back to school, going to back to work, prepping for the fall, or just looking for an excuse to buy new makeup (aka my everyday life), it never hurts to stock up on affordable and easy-to-wear makeup from the drugstore. While I like to experiment and play with fun colors on the weekend, I like my everyday makeup to be foolproof. I don’t have the time, energy, or brain functioning necessary to apply a complex makeup look or match my makeup to my outfit.
On weekdays, I stick to the basics and aim for a neutral makeup look that makes me look healthy and awake. Here are nine go-to makeup products that are perfect for back to school!
1. Revlon Nearly Naked Liquid Foundation: If you have perfect skin, I hate you. Just kidding (not really). My skin is usually blotchy and angry-looking in the morning, but I hate wearing heavy foundations that look and feel like a mask. Revlon’s Nearly Naked is a perfect medium-coverage foundation that covers my flaws and evens out my complexion without feeling heavy or cakey.
2. ELF Studio Blush in Tickled Pink: ELF blushes are the bomb.com. They come in lots of pretty colors, and they’re pigmented and easy to blend. Did I mention they’re only $3? You might just want to buy the whole line. I like the shade Tickled Pink for my everyday look because it’s the perfect healthy flush. I like to use the ELF Studio Complexion Brush for my blush, bronzer, and setting powder to keep things nice and easy.
3. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer: This concealer’s foam-tip applicator makes application a breeze, and the thin consistency makes it ideal for midday touch-ups. This concealer covers dark undereye circles and camouflages blemishes and discoloration.
4. Neutrogena Healthy Lengths Mascara: I don’t want super dramatic lashes for school or work, but I do want my lashes to stand out. This mascara from Neutrogena is the perfect middle ground between natural and dramatic. It adds just enough length and volume to enhance your eyes without being overkill for a professional or academic environment. I also appreciate that it doesn’t leave me with the dreaded “crunchy” lashes.
5. Revlon Nearly Naked Pressed Powder: Like its sister foundation (mentioned above), the Nearly Naked powder provides just enough coverage. It’s smooth, finely-milled, and leaves your skin a slightly matte (but not too matte) finish.
6. NYC Smooth Skin Bronzer in Sunny: This bronzer is just perfect. It’s less than $3 and works for light to medium skin tones as a natural bronzer/contour powder. It’s matte, blends like a dream, and the packaging also features a handy mirror.
7. Wet-n-Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Trio in Walking on Eggshells: I’ve gushed about the Wet-n-Wild eyeshadows many times before, but the Walking on Eggshells trio is a must for any morning makeup routine. The trio provides a naturally defined eye with a subtle highlight and works with all skintones. The eyeshadows are smooth, creamy, highly pigmented, and easy to blend. The only drawback is the eyeshadows are so soft that they can leave a little fallout after application if you’re not careful. I combat this problem by applying my concealer after finishing my eyeshadow. If you’re looking for an affordable eye brush for your on-the-go makeup kit, try the ELF Eyeshadow C Brush.
8. Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Branded: When you’re busy at school or work, you don’t want to have to reapply your eye makeup throughout the day. This cream eyeshadow base is beautiful on its own, but it works wonders underneath the Wet-N-Wild eyeshadows. Your eye look will not budge if you apply this product as an eyeshadow base, and it will help your eyeshadows pop! This shimmery champagne color can also be used as a cream highlighting product for your cheekbones.
9. Revlon Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie: Revlon Lip Butters are just an ideal product for busy days. They’re the perfect combination of lip balm, lip gloss, and lipstick, and the line features every color you could ever need. I’ve been wearing Berry Smoothie nearly every day, and this one product can provide three looks. Swipe this shade over your lips once for a sheer pink tint. Two swipes will bring your lips to the perfect mid-toned natural pink. Three to four swipes transforms this color into a natural berry shade that is universally flattering. Every single girl needs to own this lip butter!
What’s in your back to school makeup kit? Any drugstore makeup favorites you swear by?