How to Avoid Looking Like A Hot Mess in Hot Weather
As a girl raised in the Florida, AKA the hottest and most humid state in the nation, I know a thing or two about surviving hot and humid weather. In my hometown of Orlando, the summers are brutal. It’s not an uncommon occurrence to start sweating through your clothes in the time it takes you to walk from your doorstep to your car, and it’s common knowledge that any hairdo will become a deflated, frizzy, and sweaty mess in no time at all. With summer vacations just around the corner, I wanted to let you in on a few of the best hot weather beauty tips I’ve learned from friends, family, and beauty professionals. While I can’t protect you from sunburns or mosquito bites, today I’m going to teach you five easy ways to avoid looking like a hot mess in the hot summer weather.
The Best Hot Weather Beauty Tips for Summer
1. Work with the humidity instead of fighting against it.If you’re headed to any tropical climate for your vacation, you won’t be able to accept the humidity. If you choose styles that fight against the humidity, you’re going into a losing battle. Humidity always wins. Think about how the humidity affects your hair and the skin on your face and body before choosing your outfit and starting your beauty routine.
For example, hot and humid days make my hair limp, frizzy, and sweaty. When my hair gets sweaty, it develops a weird and uneven wave that’s just not cute, so I always avoid wearing stick-straight hair on summer days. Instead, I curl my hair a little tighter than usual (because I know the weather will melt my curls), use a tiny bit of humidity-fighting hairspray, and let the weather loosen my style into beachy waves throughout the day.
I approach my makeup the same way. I know that hot summer weather will make my face a greasy mess, so I avoid any/all makeup products that are aimed at creating a dewy appearance. I love fresh and dewy makeup as much as anyone else, but even the best products will only last for approximately five minutes in the summer. Instead, I’ll prep my face with a mattifying primer, top the primer off with mattifying setting spray, and then apply a mattifying foundation, powder, and another spritz of the setting spray. This ultra-matte combination is way more matte than I prefer; however, when the heat and humidity hit my face, they melt down the products and create the perfect healthy complexion. With these products, the heat and a little bit of moisture are actually my friends throughout the day!
No matter how you approach your daily beauty routine in the summer, try to make the warm weather your friend and not your foe. When I leave the house on summer days, my hair is too big and too curly and my makeup is too matte and too dry. Thankfully the summer weather melts both my hair and makeup down to the perfect finish in no time! Just remember: Don’t style your hair and apply your makeup for your indoor mirror – apply them for the heat.
2. Stock Up on Oil-Absorbing ProductsThere’s nothing worse than sticky and sweaty skin and hair. It’s just not a cute look, and more importantly, it’s uncomfortable! When I know I’m headed out to a full day in the summer sunshine, I always bring along travel sizes of my oil-absorbing beauty favorites. Baby powder or dry shampoo powder is a miracle worker for absorbing excess oil in your hair, and dry shampoo can add extra volume into your limp and lifeless hair.
For your face, you’ll want to pack oil-absorbing tissue sheets to refresh your makeup. These handy dandy pieces of paper will soak up the excess sweat and oil without disturbing your makeup. If you’re in a pinch, paper napkins or toilet paper work like a charm. Pro tip: always dab, never rub!
3. Use Gentle Shower Products to Avoid Dry Skin
I recently picked up a new body wash for summer, and oh my goodness, it’s kinda blowing my mind. You know when you try to use a body wash without a loofah, and it gets all goopy and won’t lather or rinse properly? It’s the worst. Well, Dove must’ve heard all of my complaints from my shower because they made a new foaming body wash that provides a light and airy lather without a loofah! Insert praise hands emoji here!
If you’re looking to pick up a new body wash for the warmer months, head to your local CVS this week. The Dove Foaming Body Washes are Buy 2, Get 1 free with your CVS ExtraBucks® Rewards Card through June 3rd, so it’s a great time to stock up for yourself and/or your family!
I was so excited about trying out a new foaming body wash that I also bought the men’s version for my husband (an extra one for myself as a backup since it’s buy two, get one free!). Dove Men+Care Clean Comfort Foaming Body Wash has the same Nutrium Moisture™ technology and quick-rinse formula, so the men in your life can also have instantly hydrated skin and a great lather without a loofah. This body wash has a clean and crisp scent that smells so good on my husband!
Click here to get Dove foaming body wash buy two, get one free through June 3rd!
4. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.
When the weather is hot and sticky, it doesn’t seem like you should moisturizing as much; however, hot weather can dry out your skin too. Long days in the sun, constant exfoliation, and repeated washing can leave your skin dry and flaky in the summer months, so it’s important to always follow up with a moisturizer after cleansing off all of your products and sweat. If the thought of a thick moisturizer on a hot night is unappealing to you, look for gel-based moisturizers. The thin formula will absorb into your skin quickly without leaving behind a residue.
5. Always have a back-up plan.No matter how well you plan your outfit, hair, and makeup, the heat and humidity can still best you. Or who knows? You could get stuck in a summer rainstorm or turn beet red from the heat. If I’m going to be out and about all day in the heat, I’ll try to pack a “just in case” bag filled with hot weather beauty essentials like bobby pins, hair ties, headbands, dry shampoo, baby powder, baby wipes, and of course, body spray. When you have these essentials close at hand, you can solve even the worst beauty emergency in no time!
Now that you’ve learned my top five hot weather beauty tips, I’d love to know how you avoid looking like a hot mess in the summer! Do you have a beauty secret or a favorite product that always saves the day when it’s hot and humid? If so, leave a comment below!
Dove Foaming Body Wash Sale at CVS
Don’t forget to click here to get Dove foaming body washes Buy 2, Get 1 free with your CVS ExtraBucks® Rewards Card through June 3rd. These lightweight body washes have an instant lather that’s absolutely addictive, and the subtle scents are so refreshing in the warmer months. You’re going to love them, so you’ll definitely want to take advantage of the Dove body wash sale at CVS!