affordable special event makeup
My favorite game as a child was playing dress up with my mom’s high heels, fancy jewelry, and makeup. I’d smear on blue eyeshadow, fuschia blush, and red lips, and stumble around in shoes that were 3x too big for me. I probably looked like a clown, but I felt so glamorous- so adult! Now that I am an adult, I still love having an excuse to get dressed up- parties, performances, a fancy dinner, you name it! I never turn down any chance to wear a fancy dress, high heels, and fakeeyelashes. I may not look glamorous on an everyday basis, but nothing beats playing dress up for special events! Now as much as I like special events, I am not a fan of spending extra money on “special event makeup”. I like to use my drugstore holy grail products to create a million dollar look for a very small price tag 🙂
1. Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Combo/Oily Skin 2. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer Dark Circle Eraser 3. CoverGirl Smoothers Powder in Translucent Medium 4. NYC Smooth Skin Bronzer in Sunny 5. Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso 6. Wet n Wild Eyeshadow Palette in Comfort Zone 7. L’Oreal Infallible 24-hour Eyeshadow in Iced Latte 8. L’Oreal HIP Color Chrome Eyeliner in Black Shock 9. Maybelline Line Stiletto Ultimate Precision Liquid Eyeliner in Blackest Black 10. DUO Eyelash Adhesive 11. Maybelline Great Lash BIG Mascara in Blackest Black12. Ardell Fashion Lashes 13. Revlon Colorbust Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake
Create a Flawless Finish That Will Last
- Foundation: My favorite foundation for these circumstances is Revlon’s Colorstay Foundation. The foundation will cover all of your flaws, last all night, and it looks fabulous in photography! I wore this foundation on my wedding day (outdoor Florida beach wedding in the middle of summer!), and it didn’t fade a bit!
- Concealer: I never leave the house without concealer on, and Maybelline’s Instant Age Rewind Dark UndereyeEraser concealer is a new favorite. It feels light, but it provides amazing coverage!
- Setting Powder: Using a setting powder will also help to keep your foundation and concealer going strong all night long. I like using a sheer, translucent powder with a tiny bit of color, like CoverGirl Smoothers Powder in Translucent Medium
Accentuate What You’ve Got and Fake What You Don’t!
- Bronzer: Special events usually have bright or dim lights- either will wash out your complexion. I like to add a hint of color by lightly brushing the bronzer all over my face. I then use a heavier hand to create the illusion of high cheekbones (I am cursed with chubby chipmunk cheeks!) by contouring in the hollows of my cheeks. I love my NYC Smooth Skin bronzer in Sunny because it’s a non-orange, natural bronze color!
- Blush/Highlighter: Add a healthy glow to your face by applying a highlighting blush, like Milani’s Baked Blush in Luminoso.
- Eyeshadow: You don’t need to spend a pretty penny to find gorgeous, highly pigmented eyeshadows. Some of my favorites include Wet n Wild’s 6-pan eyeshadow palette in Comfort Zone and L’Oreal’s Infallible 24-hour Eyeshadows (read my review here). Both eyeshadows are highly pigmented, have a wide color selection, and will last all night!
- Eyeliner: For long events, I like to first outline my eyes in a rich black pencil eyeliner, like L’Oreal HIP’s Color Chrome Eyeliner in Black Shock, and then I go over my top lash line with a liquid liner to ensure my liner lasts all night!
- Fake Lashes: False eyelashes are a MUST for all events involving photography. They’re easy to use once you get the hang of it, and they are an affordable way to amp up your look!
- Mascara: Mascara is another must for any special event. It will instantly accentuate your eyes and add some drama to your look!
- Lipstick/Gloss: I like using a product that is easy to re-apply for special events and won’t be noticeable if it fades a bit. A mid-toned pink like Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake is perfect!
I hope these ideas will help you prepare for special events without breaking the bank! All of the products mentioned are very affordable and easily accessible. What are your favorite drugstore beauty products?