6 Baby Essentials That Will Make Any New Mom’s Life Easier
On this day last year, I was 38 weeks pregnant and wobbled around our house all day long to get my daughter Summer’s nursery ready for her arrival. I’d received or ordered every baby gizmo and gadget on the market, and I was determined to be an ultra-prepared new mom. After Summer’s arrival, I quickly realized that being a mom is more complicated than I could’ve ever imagined. It doesn’t matter if you’ve read every baby book, watched every video about taking care of babies, or talked to every mom in your circle of friends. When you have a baby, things rarely go according to plan. You learn to expect the unexpected and embrace the parenting speed bumps you’ll inevitably face on a weekly basis. The first year of motherhood is definitely an adventure, but I promise you, the rewards are worth every single moment of exhaustion, anxiety, and uncertainty.
After a year with my daughter Summer, I am so grateful for the advice I received from the moms in my life. Their insights helped me survive this crazy thing we call motherhood and saved me time, money, and a whole lot of anxiety. Now that Summer is leaving her time as a baby behind and entering into the world of toddlerhood, I want to share some of the tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way to help new moms like the women in my life helped me over the past year – especially since we’re headed into “baby season.” More babies are born in September than any other month of the year, so I know there’s going to be a bunch of first-time moms who need help figuring out what they actually need to know and buy to be prepared for their little one.
I have quite a few posts lined up over the next month to help out the new mamas in the group, but I wanted to share this post first for a very specific reason: life as a new mom can be really hard. You’re completely changing your daily routine, learning how to take care of a miniature human being (and dealing with the stress of that responsibility), and running your life and home – AKA doing all the things all the time. If you’re a new mama (or you know one), I’ve got your back! Today I am sharing six new mom essentials that will make life with a baby a little bit easier. I thoughtfully selected each and every item/service on this list to help you solve some of the problems that I faced as a first-time mom, and I truly believe these items will make a difference in your first year with your baby.
6 Baby Essentials That Will Make Any New Mom’s Life Easier
As a new mom, you have one million things to worry about every second of the day, so you really don’t want to have to worry about your baby’s diaper. When I was researching which brand of diapers to purchase for my baby girl, I asked every mom I knew for their opinion. I was expecting a wide range of brand preferences, but to my surprise, every single mom recommended Pampers diapers to me. EVERY SINGLE ONE. After using Pampers diapers exclusively for a year, I’m no longer surprised. Between road trip blowouts, emergency hospital stays, and all sorts of unexpected situations, we’ve had to try out a few other diaper brands, and we’ve always been disappointed. Without a doubt, Pampers diapers have fit our daughter the best AND provided the amazing protection, so we’ve exclusively used and will continue to use Pampers diapers with our little girl.
1. Reliable Diapers And Wipes That Actually Work
The Pampers Pure CollectionYou guys know that I’ve been trying my best to only use reliable products on Summer, so a few months ago, I started using the Pampers Pure Collection from Walmart on Summer and have been so impressed. It’s crafted to include plant-derived, dermatologically-tested, and other thoughtfully-selected materials, so Pampers Pure diapers and wipes are hypoallergenic and gentle for baby’s delicate skin. Summer has very sensitive skin that’s prone to eczema and rashes, so I love that this line doesn’t have fragrances or parabens. I also love how Pampers cares about the environment and keeps it top of mind with all of their products.
Very simply put, The Pampers Pure Collection is pure protection that works. Both the diapers and wipes work beautifully, and I can feel confident that I’m using a reliable product. It’s nice to know that I don’t have to compromise my preferences to get the materials and performance I want in one diaper and wipes brand. There is more information on their website at Pampers dot com slash Pure (pampers.com/pure) if you’re curious to learn more, and I’ll break down why I love both and diapers and wipes in more detail below.
Pampers Pure Protection DiapersAs I mentioned earlier, Summer’s skin is extremely delicate, so I try to use only ultra-soft materials on her skin and avoid irritating ingredients. Pampers Pure Protection diapers are the first product that combines premium cotton, soft plant-based fibers, and other thoughtfully selected materials with Pampers trusted protection. The diapers are made without chlorine bleaching, fragrance, parabens, latex, or the 26 allergens identified by the European Union, so I can feel 100% confident that I’m using a product that’s reliable for my daughter.
After using Pampers for nearly a year, I wanted to switch to a pure brand but didn’t want to lose the level of performance I’d come to expect. Pampers Pure Protection diapers have the Pampers protection I trust with the choices that are important to me – like premium cotton, no lotion, and no fragrance … and the prints are adorable. I mean, how cute are those little llamas? In addition to being dependable for my daughter, they’re also environmentally-conscious. Pampers Pure Protection diapers use plant-based materials that are responsibly sourced and made with 100% certified renewable electricity, and Pampers uses third-party certified, sustainably-sourced pulp in all of their products.
After using the Pampers Pure Protection diapers for several months, I can confidently say I’ve found a diaper line that I can confidently recommend to my friends and family. I honestly am so impressed with the quality and will definitely continuing using these diapers on Summer and hopefully on my future babies too!
Pampers Aqua Pure WipesBaby wipes are a product I never thought I’d feel passionate about; however, after going through who knows how many dozen packages of baby wipes over the past year, I’m now a bit of a baby wipes connoisseur. Here’s the thing. A lot of baby wipes have major issues with performance or packaging – or both. I only like to use wipes with minimal ingredients to reduce irritation on Summer’s skin, and I absolutely must use baby wipes with functional packaging. There’s nothing worse than trying to pull out one or two wipes and having a dozen come out of the package! I’m thrilled to say I have found my DREAM baby wipe. It’s made of 99% pure water and has incredibly functional packaging.
Pampers Aqua Pure wipes are designed to give moms our highest water content wipe while still delivering outstanding skin protection. They are made with 99% pure water and a touch of premium cotton and are designed to help maintain the pH of baby’s delicate skin. Thanks to the carefully-selected ingredients, these wipes are perfect to use on newborn bottoms, hands, and faces. I use them every single time I change Summer’s diaper, and I also keep a pack in every room in our home (and every purse / diaper bag I carry) to clean up her sticky hands and face all day long. If you’re looking for a baby wipe with stellar ingredients and performance, you’re gonna love the Pampers Aqua Pure wipes!
2. Online Grocery Pick Up ServiceNo matter how angelic your baby may be, grocery shopping with a baby is a true challenge. Between preparing your baby for the trip, packing all of their supplies, and actually navigating the store with a baby in tow, a simple trip to the grocery store can take up an incredible amount of time and energy. Thankfully, I rarely actually have to step into a grocery store anymore because Walmart is helping moms out with their amazing new service. Now with Online Grocery Pickup, you can order your diapers AND groceries from the comfort of your own home AND pick them up without even leaving your car! And if you can’t bear the thought of even having to leave the house at all, you can order online and have Pampers Pure delivered for free in two days (minimum of $35 purchase on eligible products)! GENIUS.
Walmart Online Grocery PickupOver the past year, I’ve become quite the connoisseur of online grocery ordering services, and I have to say that Walmart’s service is top-notch and stands out from the crowd in a in a number of ways. First and foremost, there is NO price mark-up. Walmart online groceries carry the same everyday low prices as local Walmart stores, and there’s no subscription fee required. You can also save time and money with the free pickup option. It offers the convenience of shopping online with the ease of picking up your groceries without having to leave your car at no additional cost.
Plus, you can feel confident knowing you’ll always pay Walmart’s lowest price. If you buy an item online and that item’s prices decreases in Walmart’s stores between the time your order is placed and when it’s picked up, you’ll only pay the lower amount on the day of your grocery pickup. Last but certainly not least, the Walmart Online Grocery Pickup service is extremely user-friendly. The website allows you to save your favorite items, so you can make a repeat order in no time. Plus, you can plan ahead and place an order for pick-up up to six days in advance or shop online and get free 2-day shipping on any purchase over $35 on eligible products.
Whether you’re a new mom, experienced mom, or honestly, just a busy single gal, why waste your time waiting in line at the store when you can order your groceries at home in your pajamas? This service is LIFE-CHANGING, ladies!
3. Stroller HookI received a stroller hook from my stepmom at my baby shower, and while I was extremely grateful for the gift, I wasn’t quite sure if it would be helpful or not. As it turns out, it has become one of my most-loved and most-used mommy essentials over the past year. I use this sturdy stroller hook each and every day to hold my diaper bag while we’re on walks or shopping bags when we’re at the store. When you’re traveling with a baby, you will always have tons of stuff and not enough hands to hold all of it. A stroller hook frees your hands and honestly provides such a huge service for such a little price. Don’t let the simple design fool you. Every new mama needs a stroller hook.
4. Baby Lounger PillowI’ll be honest. I bought this baby lounger pillow because I thought it would be cute in photos, but it’s been of the best baby product investments I’ve made so far. When Summer was an infant, she lounged and napped in this pillow while I worked, cleaned, cooked, and exercised. As she got older, it became an excellent pillow for her to prop her arms on for tummy time. Now that she’s outgrown those two uses for this pillow, Summer loves to play with the pillow on its own or sit on it while she’s watching her favorite TV show. This little pillow is absolutely a huge asset for moms with newborns.
5. Microwave SterilizerWhen I was pregnant, I heard all of the parents in my life complaining about constantly having to sterilize baby bottles and breast pump parts. I heard story after story of moms and dads burning themselves while boiling bottle parts half-asleep at 3am. Thankfully, there are now microwave sterilizers on the market that take away the time and hassle of sterilizing baby supplies. Simply add all of your bottles, nipples, pacifiers, and breast pump parts into the sterilizer, add a little water, and microwave for the prescribed amount of time. In only a few minutes, you’ll have a brand new supply of sterilized parts with minimal effort and no mess. This product is honestly such a lifesaver.
6. Teething NecklaceYet another difficult part of raising a baby is dealing with the seemingly endless teething process. It’s so hard to watch your little one be in pain, and it can be hard to find something that will distract your little drool monster and help them feel better. Teething necklaces can work like a charm! They’re made with baby-friendly soft silicone beads that are safe for your little one to chew on. I wear mine throughout the day when Summer is teething, and she loves chewing on it while I’m holding her. It’s also a lifesaver for keeping her distracted while we’re traveling or waiting in line. I’ve also used it to keep her occupied while she’s nursing.
The great part of the teething necklace is its versatility. I can wear it around my necklace or secure it to Summer’s stroller. It can be used on its own, or you can add toys and create the greatest travel toy of all time. No matter how you and your little one choose to use your teething necklace, I truly think it will be a positive addition to your daily routine.
While the first year as a new parent can be tiring and frustrating, getting a kiss from your baby at the end of the day makes every drop of sweat, every tear, and every minute of lost sleep worth it. I hope that these six items can help make your life as a new mom even a little bit easier, and I’m looking forward to sharing even more tips, tricks, and product recommendations with you over the next few weeks! If you’re a mom, help me help the new mamas out there. Leave a comment with the products that you loved the most with your baby!