Baby Registry Must Haves Every Expecting Mom Needs
When I was pregnant with Summer, I spent weeks researching the best baby products to add to Summer’s registry. I read what seemed like every review on the internet, and I practically interrogated all of the mothers in my family for their recommendations. While we ended up loving a lot of the items from our registry, there were so many items that I hadn’t even considered we’d need.
With baby girl #2 on the way in only a few weeks, I’m sharing the baby registry must-haves you didn’t know you needed. Plus, I’ll be going over a few of the items that second-time (or third, fourth, fifth…) moms should register for even if they already have a house full of baby items. Keep reading to learn why we chose to register at buybuy BABY this time around and which products every expecting mama needs on her baby registry!
Baby Registry Must-Haves Every Expecting Mom NeedsBefore we get started with all of my top product recommendations, let me take a second to talk about why it’s so important to create a registry no matter how many children you have. First of all, it’s helpful for YOU and your partner to take stock of what you have and what you still need for your next baby. Plus, you’ll get a completion discount for all of the items on your registry, so you can save some serious cash. Secondly, there will always be someone in your family or circle of friends who wants to bless your family with a gift for the new baby. Having a registry helps them buy items that will truly be helpful to your family – whether you’re having a huge baby shower, a small baby sprinkle, or no parties at all.
Why We’re Registering at buybuy BABYWhen you’re creating your baby registry, I highly recommend focusing on one store. It makes things easier for you AND your friends/family who may be purchasing gifts. For our second pregnancy, we’ve chosen to register at buybuy BABY because we have absolutely fallen in love with our local store over the past two years. They have everything you and baby could possibly need, and their customer service is absolutely amazing.
Here are some of the perks of registering at buybuy BABY:1. You get a free goody bag!
Let’s face it – free stuff is fun! When you create a baby registry at buybuy BABY, you’ll receive a complimentary gift bag filled with all sorts of baby and postpartum essentials along with handy coupons.
2. You’ll receive a 15% off completion discount.
When you’re six weeks away from your due date, you’ll receive a 15% off baby registry completion discount that applies to tons of top brands – along with SO many coupons throughout your pregnancy. It seems like I’m always getting an amazing coupon from buybuy BABY, but the completion discount is awesome because you make one big purchase and score massive savings! P.S. If you want to use your completion discount before it’s sent, simply head in-store and ask the baby registry representative to grant you early access.
3. Enjoy free shipping rewards during your baby’s first year.
When the value of gifts purchased from your baby registry exceeds $1,500, you’ll qualify for free shipping on all of your purchases for the first year of your little one’s life. Whether you’re planning a baby shower or simply purchasing the items yourself, this amount shouldn’t be hard to reach!
4. You can score referral rewards.
Every time you refer a friend to buybuy Baby and they create a registry, you’ll receive a reward for $25 off a $100 in-store purchase. It’s the perfect way to restock on baby items throughout the year for less AND help out your friends!
5. buybuy BABY price matches.
If you see an item on your registry for less at a competitor or major online retailer, simply ask for a price match in store, by phone, or by email. You can see all of the rules and restrictions here.
Baby Registry Tips for Expecting MamasAnd now, let’s get to the recommendations for what you NEED to register for! P.S. This is NOT a comprehensive list – just a selection of items that I see my pregnant friends (and I myself) forget to register for. If you’re looking for the ultimate list of what to include on your baby registry, you can print out buybuy BABY’s Registry Checklist here.
1. Register for diapers in EVERY size.This tip is GOLD, and I actually learned it from my baby registry consultant at buybuy BABY (they are a WEALTH of information). Like most new moms, I registered for one box of newborn diapers and one box of size 1 along with a few packs of wipes. BIG mistake. You’re going to go through more diapers than you can possibly imagine, and it can get extremely expensive. When you’re creating your registry, I’d recommend adding at least one box of newborn size, two boxes of size 1, and then a few boxes in all of the remaining sizes along with you preferred wipes and diaper creams.
2. Don’t forget about baby’s sleep necessities.
One of my all-time favorite baby (and toddler) recommendations is the Hatch Baby Rest. It’s an all-in-one nightlight, sound machine, and time-to-rise clock, and you can control all of the features through an app on your phone. We’ve used the Hatch Baby Rest in Summer’s nursery for around 18 months, and it’s been an absolute lifesaver. My daughter loves the nightly routine of choosing her favorite light/sound combo (muted orange light with white noise), and we can adjust the light/noise throughout the night if needed. If you’re looking for a solid white noise machine, this one is your best bet!
Quick Tip: Be sure to register for a small on-the-go white noise machine as well for stroller and car rides. It makes a huge difference with little babies napping while you’re out and about.
While the Owlet Smart Sock can’t prevent anything bad from happening, it can help to alert you is something is going wrong. This ingenious device tracks heart rate and oxygen levels and notifies you with lights and sounds if something’s wrong. You can also use the app to check sleep trends and look back at heart rate and oxygen levels over time. Whether your baby is sleeping in a bassinet beside your baby or in their crib in the nursery, this little piece of technology will help you get a little extra rest each night.
We decided to add the Owlet Smart Sock + Cam Complete Baby Monitor System to our baby registry because we haven’t had the best luck with Summer’s baby monitor, and we love that the Owlet app syncs with both the sock and cam. You can easily see, here, and track how baby is doing throughout the night in one easy app! If you already own the sock, you can also purchase the Owlet video monitor on its own here.
3. Think about your lifestyle and long-term family plans before choosing strollers and car seats.Here’s where buybuy BABY’s amazing customer service REALLY came in handy: stroller shopping. We were blessed to receive a wonderful single stroller when Summer was born, but with baby #2 on the way, we knew we needed to upgrade to a double stroller. While we were all set on a double stroller system after our online research, a quick chat with the stroller associate at our local buybuy BABY blew our minds and saved us hundreds of dollars!
Here’s the lesson we learned: When you’re creating your buybuy BABY registry, ALWAYS test out strollers and car seats in store because the associates have so much experience. They’ve used each and every product and know the pros/cons of each model. There is no amount of online research that can compare to years of hands-on experience. You can always add the item to your registry and shop later online if you need to save or think about your purchase, but the in-person experience is 100% worth it.
For our personal situation, we knew we needed a stroller that would be able to hold our infant carseat and have another seat for Summer. We wanted a stroller that wouldn’t feel heavy when we were pushing two children and their belongings, and we wanted a model that could be pushed on a trail or through the grass. We also have plans for more children down the road, so we also hoped to find a stroller that would hold up throughout the years and adjust to our children’s changing needs as they got older.
Based on our needs, our stroller associate recommended the Baby Jogger City Select LUX Stroller, and we quickly fell in love with the versatility and durability of this stroller. Our associate helped us think through ALL of the details. Based on our children’s ages, he recommended not purchasing a second seat in case our older daughter didn’t like to ride in a baby seat when her younger sister outgrew her infant car seat. I can absolutely see that being an obstacle, BUT I love that this model also allows you to purchase a bench seat for older children to ride on the back of the stroller.
In addition to having the perfect configuration for our family, this stroller is extremely sturdy, moves like a dream, doesn’t feel heavy when you’re pushing it, and can navigate through grass and along mild hiking paths. We absolutely love this purchase, and I love that our helper at buybuy BABY helped us save hundreds of dollars on extra seats and attachments that we just didn’t need!
Here are a few other things to think about when you’re registering for strollers and car seats:
– What are your family plans? Even if you’re only expecting one child now, you may want to consider a stroller that can be used a single or double if you’re hoping to have more children down the line. You can always buy extra seats and attachments later on!
– Don’t register for a jogging stroller unless you’ve personally used a jogging stroller with your children. They’re expensive, and you and/or your child may not like the experience. Our buybuy BABY stroller associate recommended renting a jogging stroller to use once or twice before making that commitment because many adults don’t like the dynamics of jogging with a stroller and some children don’t like the movement.
– Do you need duplicates or different models? If you have someone who will be taking care of your child frequently, it’s always nice to have an extra stroller on hand. If you’re not looking to invest in multiples of expensive strollers (I wouldn’t either), consider adding an affordable umbrella stroller or two to leave in your partner’s car or your parent’s home.
4. Bring your partner with you to try out baby carriers before registering.
I’m about to say something shocking: I’ve never used a baby carrier. I’m crazy, I know. This time around, my husband and I have learned our lesson, and we’re investing in two baby carriers. A stretchy carrier to use when our baby is little, and a larger and more durable carrier for on-the-go trips as baby gets older.
An important tip we learned from our attendant at buybuy BABY was to go into a store together to try on baby carriers because different models are compatible with different bodies. If you and your partner are drastically different sizes, you may need to purchase different carriers or find a model that’s highly adjustable.
For our stretchy baby carrier, we chose the Boppy ComfyFit Baby Carrier because I love the feeling of the fabric, and the wrap process just makes sense to me. It’s also more affordable than many similar models on the market, so that doesn’t hurt either!
5. Don’t forget about breastfeeding supplies.When I was creating my first baby registry, it didn’t even cross my mind to add breastfeeding necessities to our baby registry. The moms in your family and circle of friends want to support you and baby, and breastfeeding supplies and accessories can be a huge part of your experience! Even if you want to add the items after your baby shower, you’ll still be able to score these products for less with your completion discount.
While most insurance plans cover a breast pump, some only offer a limited selection of brands. I highly recommend the Spectra Baby S1 Plus Double Electric Breast Pump. It’s a hospital-grade pump, and it helped me improve my milk output drastically compared to the model that was covered by my insurance. Plus, you can charge the battery and take your breast pump anywhere without a wire. Let me tell you, it was so much more comfortable to finish late-night or early-morning pumps in my bed or on the couch watching TV than sitting in a random corner of the house tied to an electrical outlet!
You’ll also want to stock up on breast milk bags that work for your family. With this baby, we’re choosing to use the Kiinde system. It allows me to connect bags directly to my breast pump (which means less parts for me to wash!), and then you simply close the bag to store the milk. Plus, you can buy the corresponding starter kit to attach a nipple and bottle structure to the bags, so your milk pump bag transitions into your milk storage bag which transitions into your bottle. SO cool!
6. Stock up on health-related baby products.My last recommendation is to stock up on health-related products for your baby because you will need them, and you will inevitably need them at 3am when the store is closed. In addition to stocking up on standard baby medicines (ALWAYS check with your doctor for usage and dosing instructions), definitely check out all of the handy dandy tools that Fridababy offers. They are one of our all-time favorite baby brands, and I guarantee you’ll need every single one of their products at one point or another!
You may think you’d never suck the snot out of your baby’s nose, but you would be wrong. When you see your little one struggling to breathe with no way to remedy the situation, you’ll be heading to the store to pick up the Fridababy NoseFrida Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator. It has a stellar reputation for a reason – it works, and it’s completely sanitary and not-gross for you and your baby.
When your little baby is congested, another thing that helps tremendously is a good humidifier. We’ve bought several online with great reviews, and honestly, they were all horrible. They leaked and couldn’t be cleaned easily. That’s why we registered for the Fridababy 3-in-1 Humidifier with Diffuser and Nightlight this time around! It’s a brand we trust, and I love that it’s easy to clean and can also be used as a diffuser and a nightlight.
buybuy BABY has a huge selection of Fridababy products, so I encourage you to check out their selection and register for quite a few!
As I mentioned earlier, this post is absolutely not a comprehensive list for what you should register for, but it will give you a few ideas for things you may not think are necessary for your registry. Whether you’re a first-time mom or an experienced mama, you should definitely head to buybuy BABY and start a registry. Between the great customer service, price matching, completion discount, and free gift bag, you really can’t lose! Let me know what YOUR baby registry must-haves are in a comment below!