Leap And The Net Will Appear

Amy Poehler Quote | "Great people do things before they're ready. They do things before they know they can do it. Doing what you're afraid of, getting out of your comfort zone, taking risks like that - that is what life is. You might be really good. You might find out something about yourself that's really special, and if you're not good, who cares? You tried something. Now you know something about yourself."
When I was a little girl, I’d tell my parents about all of the things I wanted to accomplish. I wanted to be a doctor or a ballerina or a zoologist or an actress (depending on the year), and their response was always the same. They’d tell me I could accomplish anything if I put in the necessary amount of hard work and effort. As I grew up, I started to realize that a lot of people that I met were very talented and worked very hard. Having talent and working hard didn’t make me special, and I started to re-think everything. Suddenly I didn’t want to do anything unless I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was fully prepared and had zero chance of failing. I was in constant preparation mode for tomorrow. Study a bit more, train a bit more, take a few more classes. Tomorrow I’ll be ready. And then a lot of tomorrows passed, and I still didn’t feel ready.

I felt like I needed to adjust my dreams. Everyone in my family knew my goals. What if I failed? What if I failed miserably and everyone knew? What if I worked my entire life training for something, and then I never achieved any sort of success in that field? I shared my frustrations with my mom, and her words were so simple that I had no response. She said, “What if you didn’t fail? What if you achieve everything you’ve ever dreamed about?”

I don’t know how to explain it, but something changed within me that day. I’m not saying that I never have doubts about myself or my future because I do, but my thought process about success and failure is completely different. Now, if I want to do something, I do it. I don’t worry about what others think because when I see friends working toward their dreams, I never think about what level of success they’ve achieved. I just feel so happy and excited that they’re doing something amazing. I admire the courage they have to take a risk and commit to something.

So that’s what I’m doing. Taking little steps toward my dreams, and even though each step has an element of risk, I couldn’t be happier. Sometimes the risks pay off and sometimes they don’t, but it makes me feel alive. In fact, some of my failures have led me to new interests and new dreams that I didn’t even know I had. Life is an interesting process. When you put yourself out there, exciting things start to happen.

If you’re afraid of failure, I encourage you to take a deep breath, gather your courage, and take a tiny baby step in the direction of your dreams. No one is ready for their future. No one is fully prepared. Everyone is just trying their best and hoping that things work out. I can’t promise that you’ll fulfill all of your wildest dreams, but I can guarantee you that you’ll have the adventure of a lifetime through your successes and failures- and you’ll end up right where you need to be.

For more inspirational quotes – including more Amy Poehler quotes, follow my Make It Happen board on Pinterest or check out these posts10 Quotes That Showcase The Brilliance of Tina Fey and Amy PoehlerSay Yes, Do More, And Be Better, and 10 Cheryl Strayed Quotes That Will Change Your Life

Have you had any turning points in your life? How have your dreams changed over the years?

36 Comments

1. October 20, 2013 / 2:31 am

Great post! Very inspirational! <br /><br />www.hiteastyle.com

2. October 20, 2013 / 2:39 am

This is great, it&#39;s all so true! Also I was the same way when I was little, I had a new dream profession all the time!!<br /><br />Kristin<br /><a href="http://crumbsandcurls.blogspot.com/&quot; rel="nofollow">crumbsandcurls.blogspot.com</a>

• October 24, 2013 / 3:43 pm

I&#39;m glad you enjoyed it!

3. October 20, 2013 / 4:28 am

Lovely post, and great quote!<br /><br />Sometimes all we can do is try our best and see what happens :)<br /><br /><br /><a href="http://awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com.au/&quot; rel="nofollow">Away From The Blue</a>

• October 24, 2013 / 3:43 pm

Exactly- it never hurts to try!

4. October 20, 2013 / 6:40 am

Lovely blog! I love stumbling on such positive messages 🙂 <br /><br />xo, <br />Mariamma

• October 24, 2013 / 3:43 pm

Glad you liked it 🙂

5. October 20, 2013 / 11:56 am

love your blog,<br />follow each other?<br />www.bebagottel.blogspot.com

• October 24, 2013 / 3:44 pm

Thanks, I&#39;ll be sure to check out yours!

6. October 20, 2013 / 1:53 pm

This is such a wonderful very inspiring post! i&#39;ve discovered your blog through &quot;Meet me on the bright side&quot; blog hop and I&#39;m very happy I did :)<br />I do understand and share your feelings, and i think this is exactly what life is about.<br />&quot;So that&#39;s what I&#39;m doing. Taking little steps toward my dreams, and even though each step has an element of risk, I couldn

• October 24, 2013 / 3:44 pm

Thanks! I&#39;m glad you enjoyed it!

• October 24, 2013 / 3:44 pm

I do too! She&#39;s amazing!

7. October 20, 2013 / 6:29 pm

This is such a lovely post. Everything that you have written is very inspirational.<br />:)<br /><br />Emily / <a href="http://www.glitteryteacups.com&quot; rel="nofollow">Glittery Teacups</a>

8. October 20, 2013 / 9:13 pm

Hey there. A very lovely post indeed and motivational 🙂 Best of luck for everything that you&#39;re hoping for. All your hard work will definitely will be worth it 🙂 x <br /><br />Thank you for the follow, now following you back 🙂 <br /><br />cosmeticallycreative.blogspot.com

• October 24, 2013 / 3:45 pm

Thank you! You are so sweet 🙂

9. October 20, 2013 / 10:41 pm

This is such a positive post… I can&#39;t even fathom the number of tomorrows that have come and gone, and I still feel like I&#39;m stuck in the mud. Over the course of the past year, my favorite quote has become, &quot;The struggle is part of the journey.&quot; Maybe we&#39;re halfway there, and the results just aren&#39;t tangible yet. You&#39;re amazing, Ash. You&#39;ll accomplish great

• October 24, 2013 / 3:45 pm

Thanks! You&#39;re amazing too! I&#39;m so excited for your future!

10. October 21, 2013 / 3:21 am

This is such an amazing post, Ashley! And I&#39;m sure tons of people, on a daily basis, need this kind of positive reinforcement and encouragement. What a joy to read!<br /><br />Dhruvi<br /><a href="http://stilettosandsequins.com&quot; rel="nofollow">Stilettos &amp; Sequins</a>

• October 24, 2013 / 3:42 pm

Thanks Dhruvi! I hope it helps someone!

11. October 21, 2013 / 3:27 pm

Great post! I was going through his lately and self doubt can really be debilitating if you let it! I too just take a deep breath and just get myself together. Nothing good comes easy and at least you can say you tried, right? Great message! <br /><br />-Kristin <br />meetmeonthebrightside.com

• October 24, 2013 / 3:42 pm

Exactly! I hope you feel better soon!

12. October 22, 2013 / 12:33 am

This is such an awesome post! I love the quote as well. <br /><br />I always tell my friends and family that taking risks, doing things that scare you, those are usually the things worth doing! I feel like I spend my whole life out of my comfort zone, constantly trying new things and being afraid to start is half the fun.<br /><br />It wasn&#39;t until a couple of years ago that I admitted to

• October 24, 2013 / 3:15 pm

Thank you! Congrats on your success!

13. October 24, 2013 / 1:11 am

Very inspiring post that shows what a beautiful mind is within a beautiful you! It is true that one must work out of their comfort zone to achieve something bigger n better! <br />Thank you for visiting me and following!<br />your new follower<br />K<br />klassystylefiles.blogspot.com.au

• October 24, 2013 / 3:15 pm

I couldn&#39;t agree more!

14. October 24, 2013 / 1:50 am

Following back! Thanks for dropping in. <br /><br />This comes at a time where I&#39;m 15 years into a career and looking back wishing I&#39;d done something different. I guess it&#39;s never too late! 😉

• October 24, 2013 / 3:15 pm

It&#39;s definitely never too late!

15. October 24, 2013 / 3:48 pm

LOVE this! Great post Ashely! Some of the biggest moments in my life have come from just jumping-doing it and knowing whatever the outcome would be at least I knew I tried and that made me the happiest. Sometimes I failed, but sometimes I succeeded more then I ever thought I could! You only get to live life once, so I always say- Go for it!<br /><br />Kendra<br />www.beautybykendrac.com<br />

16. November 15, 2013 / 2:27 pm

wew i feel it too :&#39;) we must getting out of our comfort zone and fight our fear.

17. November 30, 2013 / 5:38 pm

So glad to have found your post through Jenn at Near &amp; Far! Your mom sounds like a wise lady. 🙂 I always tell my younger brother, it takes 5,280 feet to make a mile–one step at a time.